Anyone who uses the internet (basically everyone) should know how to delete cookies and clear cache on their browser. If you’re unsure of what this means or don’t know how to do so, you’ve come to the right place.
The Story Behind Cookies and Cache
What are they?
Your browser’s cache is a temporary storage location where codes, scripts and multimedia content from websites you visit are saved. When you revisit a site, your browser will check the cache to quickly reload any content that has remained the same since your last visit. This helps the webpage load faster.
Why do I need to Clear them?
Over time, your browser’s cache and cookies accumulate on your hard drive. Depending on how much space they take up, they can seriously slow down your computer and your internet speed. Many computer problems can be solved just by clearing them.
How to Delete Cookies and Clear Cache
Exactly how to delete cookies will vary slightly depending on your browser. Here’s how you do it for the newest version of the most popular ones:
- Click the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the browser and select “History”
- Click “Clear browsing data” on the top left
- Make sure “Cookies and other site data” is selected, and click “Clear Data”
- Click the icon that looks like a stack of books on the top right corner of the browser and select “History”
- Click “Clear Recent History”
- Make sure “Cookies” is selected and click “Clear Now”
- Click the three horizontal dots in the upper right corner of the browser and select “Settings”
- Under “Clear browsing data,” click “Choose what to clear”
- Make sure “Cookies” is selected and click “Clear”
- Select the “Safari” menu on the toolbar at the top of your screen, then click “Preferences”
- Click the “Privacy” tab
- Click “Remove All Website Data”
- Click “Remove Now” on the window that pops up
The easiest way to clear your cache on all major web browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Safari is by using keyboard shortcuts:
- Reload the page you’re on: Ctrl + F5
- Clear the cache: Ctrl + Shift +Del
On most browsers, a window will pop up asking you if you’re sure you’d like to clear your cache. The wording will vary, but just agree, then you’re done!
Now that you know how to delete cookies and clear your cache. Next time your computer is acting up, give this a try before contacting your IT team.