On June 7, Apple announced the release of iOS 15 for iPhone and iPad devices. The update appears to be one of the most robust that Apple has made to its operating system in years. Even though major changes have been made to FaceTime, Messages, Notifications, Maps and Safari, many people have put off software updates on their devices, missing out on critical security updates. With all these new iOS features coming soon, think about how your business might be able to capitalize on these functions.
What Changes to Expect from iOS 15
Seeing the trend towards work from home, Apple has pivoted to make its FaceTime application rival video conferencing software from Zoom and Microsoft Teams
- Spatial Audio: Creates a sound field, spreading out voices so they sound like they come from the direction in which the user is positioned on the call.
- Portrait Mode: This feature will blur out the background while keeping you in focus.
- Calendar Integration: Creates a weblink for a FaceTime call in a calendar event on your phone.
- SharePlay: Will allow you to share music, movies and television shows while “FaceTiming” together.
Team messaging apps have grown in popularity from Slack to Microsoft Teams, as more and more businesses rely them for internal communication. Apple is now moving its iMessage platform in that same direction.
- Shared with You: Makes it easier for users to continue the conversation after a link has been shared with, allowing messaging right from the app it was shared within.
Many people are distracted by their devices during the workday and now Apple is offering iOS 15 features that help employees avoid the distractions of their personal device.
- Notification Summary: Morning and night personalized notification summaries to catch up on what you missed while away focusing on your job or family.
- Mute Notifications: Mute message and app notifications temporarily for an hour or more.
- Time Sensitive Notifications: Notifications with deadlines will be delivered immediately.
Many businesses rely on Apple Maps to get them where they need to be when they need to be there. Apple is offering new iOS 15 features that improve its already popular navigation app.
- New Driving Features: With a focus on traffic, incidents and other details. The map switches to a 3D road-level view when approaching complex intersections.
- Immersive Walking Directions: Step-by-step directions shown in augmented reality.
- Improved Search: If you move the map, it will update your search results and show businesses that are currently open.
Safari is the second most popular internet browser after Google Chrome. Apple aims to keep it way with new features that improve its ease of use.
- Streamlined Designed: A more minimalistic design that takes up less space on the page and allows for better viewing.
- Customizable Start Page: Customize the start page with your own background image.
- Swipe Between Tabs: Move between open tabs by swiping left or right on the tab bar.
- Web Extensions on iOS: Extensions are tools that will increase the functionality and features of the browser.
- CarPlay: Siri will announce incoming messages while utilizing the CarPlay functionality.
When and Who Will be Getting the iOS 15 Update
Apple has set the soft release date for the update to be September 2021. iOS 15 will be compatible with iPhone 6s and later, which means all devices that currently run iOS 14 will be compatible.
For the most up-to-date information about devices and technology, be sure to subscribe to our blog.